Spicy Portuguese Clam and Tomato Chowder
With its translucent reddish broth and colorful pieces of bell pepper, tomato, onion, clam, and thyme, this Portuguese-style chowder is very enticing.
For 8 Serving(s)
- 1 tablespoon(s) Eatem Clam Base #14-003
- 1/2 cup(s) Sherry Wine
- 8 cup(s) Water
- Large Clams (in shell) or 30 Littlenecks
- 1/2 cup(s) Tri Colored Peppers (Diced)
- 3 cup(s) Grape Tomatoes (Halved)
- 1/2 cup(s) Onion (Diced)
- 1/4 tablespoon(s) Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon(s) Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) Minced Garlic
- 3 tablespoon(s) Smoked Paprika
- 2 teaspoon(s) Sugar
Spicy Portuguese Clam and Tomato Chowder Directions
- Heat Olive Oil in a large soup pot or kettle.
- Add Onions, Diced Peppers, and Garlic, cook until glassy
- Add Tomatoes, Crushed Red Pepper, Paprika, and Thyme, cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Add Water, Sugar, and Base, bring to a boil.
- Add Whole Red Peppers (add more or less than specified depending on desired heat) and reduce to a simmer.
- Lower Heat to a slow simmer.
- Add Large Clams.
- Once Clams Begin to open remove from heat.
- Salt and Pepper to taste, stir before serving to insure even distribution of ingredients. Garnish with fresh chopped Parsley.
- To Stretch Soup Broth, steam extra Mussels for service. (Recommend One Clam, /Cup, 3 Clams/Bowl.)